Manager / Sr. Manager, Data Operations
April / May, 2022
BANYAN is a global interchange for SKU-level receipt data, with a mission to make it easy for consumers to connect their receipts to the apps and services they choose, unlocking value for merchants and enabling financial institutions and fintech apps to create incredible, personalized experiences for their customers.
We’re a growing team of more than 35 employees distributed across the US, with offices in New York and Chicago. Our investors include FinVC, TTV Capital, Motivate Ventures, and Manifold Group, and we have ambitions to become a major player in the future of fintech.
Banyan is looking for a Manager/Sr. Manager, Data Operations to join our ranks, who can lead the continued development of our Data Ops function. At Banyan, Data Operations is focused on ensuring our clients’ receipt and transaction data is successfully onboarded into our core data platform via QA, transformation logic development, data quality monitoring, and other collaboration with Client Success and Solution Engineering team members to ensure client metadata is effectively organized.
You’ll build a team of Data Operations Analysts and/or Engineers, and work with a variety of clients, and internal stakeholders to manage the technical execution of client dataset curation, transformation, and QA using SQL and Python in a proprietary ETL framework to ensure successful client data onboardings. You’ll also work to dig into data nuances with cross-functional team members to help develop new data variables and use cases for downstream Banyan products.
We are searching for someone who is not only passionate about our mission, but is also a systems thinker and enjoys improving operations processes. The ideal candidate is excited to adapt to the evolving priorities of a growing startup – which may mean leading data Q&A discussions with clients one day, while reviewing data models and DAGs for production code the next.
What you’ll do
- Lead the hiring, training, and development of Data Operations Analysts and/or Engineers, and alongside these team members:
- Collaborate with Solution Engineering in pre-sales and post-sales processes to understand clients’ data structures and ensure that fields and definitions map to Banyan’s standardized schema requirements
- Perform and improve automated QA tests in SQL and Python to ensure incoming data quality and integrity
- Write, deploy, and document client-specific transformation logic and data models in SQL and Python to integrate merchant and transaction data into the Banyan data platform
- Create DAG workflows in ETL environment to sync and transform data in production (we leverage Dataflow and Cloud Composer)
- Remedy data quality and feed issues in partnership with Client Success upon downtime notifications from Banyan observability tools
- Oversee team sprint planning and backlog grooming in collaboration with Solution Engineering for onboarding estimates
- Implement centralized systems for storing and organizing metadata on clients, data locations, taxonomies, and field definitions (e.g. data catalog)
- Partner with data engineering, analytics engineering, and other stakeholders to improve upstream processes of our core data platform (e.g. data requirements, quality thresholds, observability and monitoring)
- Identify common needs and patterns across dataset evaluations and transformation logic, and own library of templatized code, documentation, and best practices
What you bring
- 4+ years of relevant working experience in data operations, onboarding, and/or analytics engineering, preferably in a tech company or startup
- Excellent SQL skills
- Comfortable with Python and basic data engineering tools/libraries (e.g. Pandas)
- Experience with data evaluation, modeling, and transformation
- Good communication skills (written and verbal)
- Attention to detail and desire for end-to-end ownership of deliverables
- Self-motivated, proactive, and fairly autonomous; comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborative with a positive attitude, interest in learning, and strong sense of empathy
Bonus points for
- Significant experience with Python
- Experience in data governance or monitoring software implementation and/or utilization
- Familiarity with retail media, CPG, or financial transaction data
We recognize that many great applicants will come with differing levels of experience and backgrounds (or may not have worked with the specific tools in our stack), so if you are interested in the role and passionate about our company vision and mission, but feel discouraged because you don’t match all the items, please apply anyway – there’s a good chance you also have important skills we haven’t stated.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans
- Short and Long term disability insurance
- Flexible vacation policy
- Paid parental leave
- Learning and development initiatives & assistance
- Work-from-home remotely, w/ occasional travel (job-dependent)
- Option to work semi-regularly in office if located near Chicago, IL or New York, NY offices
BANYAN is an equal opportunity employer and committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.